Sunday, December 19, 2010

It’s a Wonderful life

My transplant has been delayed from December 21st to late January.   The doctors have told me I am not quite ready to have the transplant and need additional treatment.  My antibodies are coming down from the medication I am receiving (which is very good news) and they think if it circulates a little longer in my bloodstream my chances of success are greatly increased. The roller coaster of hope continues…   

The good news is I will not be in the hospital on Christmas day and can enjoy the holiday with my friends and family.  Also, I will be able to attend the 12th Annual Renal Teen prom that takes place on January 16th.   

During this Holiday season, I have been surrounded by so much love and support it has made me see how many wonderful people I have in my life.   As in the movie It’s a Wonderful Life, George Bailey (played by Jimmy Stewart) is made to realize how many lives he has touched, and helped.  

When It’s a Wonderful Life was released in 1946, it lost money because of its somber portrayal tone of small-town life.  The movie did not become a holiday classic until it lapsed in public domain in 1973.

So when the movie was released I imagine the director Frank Capra was disappointed (like I am now), but it is well worth remembering the outcome was beyond his imagination.  The movie also depicts a guardian angel and my living donor Cyndi has guarded my hopes with the generous offer of her kidney.  

It’s a Wonderful Life was inspired by the book The Greatest Gift by Phillip Van Doren Stern and the Gift of Life is the Greatest Gift!   Sometimes the best gifts go to those who wait.  

3 comments:

  1. Lori, I am sorry to hear of this news, however, from what you are saying, it will result in your chances of success being increased. This IS good news.

    My best to you and know that your courage, attitude and just your 'presence' brings such encouragement and hope for others.

    Roberta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori,
    What a disappointing turn of events but it sounds like you have already worked through the disappointment and are seeing the bright side. Thanks for being such an inspiration to all of us!

    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori,
    I am sorry about the delay, but it's a good sign that your numbers are going in the right direction. Christmas will be nice at home. I will come by this week. I have stayed away as I had a bad cold, and didn't want to risk getting you sick! xoxox

    One day at a time my friend!
    Karol

    ReplyDelete