Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hope and Gratitude for Thanksgiving

Last week, I had my first treatment of Intravenous Immunoglobulin (IVIG) to prepare me for a potential kidney transplant from my step-sister Cyndi.  I am not an easy match and I was amazed to learn that even though we are not blood related, she can still donate.   

The doctors explained since I have had three transplants and multiple blood transfusions, I have acquired a lot of antibodies which makes me more difficult to match. Antibodies are found in the blood and are used by the immune system to identify and neutralize bacteria, viruses and foreign objects. A transplanted organ is seen as a foreign object and the body will automatically reject it if it is not treated with medication.

Luckily, they can test exactly what antibodies I have and detect which ones are going to attack the transplanted kidney. The IVIG treatment helps desensitize the bad antibodies, allowing me the high probability of acceptance. The advancements in transplantation are amazing! 

The fact that my sister wants to offer me a part of her body is extraordinary. It is also extraordinary that several other people came forward and offered to donate the gift of life to me.

My three previous transplants were from deceased donors. My third transplant lasted me 20 years. These individuals generously decided to be an organ donor and gave the gift of life to me as well as many other people.  
   
Prior to when I was called for my third transplant in 1990 I was told my chances were slim to none that I would ever receive another transplant. As I was in my early twenties, I just thought that was the way life was going to be for me.  I was taken by surprise when I got the call.

But now the situation is different. A living donor who is giving up a part of their body is hard to wrap your brain around. My pending transplant date is December 21. The hospital has tested Cyndi from head to toe and cleared her of any potential harm when she donates a kidney to me. 

I have had time to reflect on all the medical miracles and the generosity of many people that have crossed my path in my 44 years on this earth. For that I am truly grateful.  Happy Thanksgiving.



1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I just found your blog - awesome stuff. It's got to be exciting to find a match - I know how it is about finding a match when you've got antibody issues - I've been told I'm a hard match, too. Anyway, wishing you the best of luck with this - I hope you get your transplant! I'm working on getting my 2nd transplant myself.

    ReplyDelete