Sunday, February 27, 2011

Pee All You Can Pee


I had my kidney transplant on February 4th, so "4" was my lucky number. I have to say a working kidney does wonders for the body.  The surgery took about 4 hours.  My surgeon performed an inner abdominal transplant, which involves a 14" incision down the middle of my stomach.  They use this surgical technique when you have had several previous transplants and they are concerned about space and scar tissue.

I had 100% antibodies prior to surgery and had to undergo plasmapheris, IVIG and Retuxin therapy to prevent my body from rejecting the kidney and lower my antibodies.  Fortunately, I responded to this treatment. 

Since my first two transplants didn't work and my third one didn't work for several weeks, I was a little apprehensive if the kidney would work right away.  This was also the first time I had a living donor (my step-sister Cyndi) and was worried that everything would go smoothly for her.  My previous three transplants were from deceased donors and from the time of the call to surgery you do you not have much time to think.  Everything happens so fast.

Luckily, the kidney started working immediately on the table and hasn't stopped.  My creatnine three days after surgery was .6 (normal is .6 to 1.4).  Lower is better.  All my labs were in normal range except my phosphorus, which was low.  Now I was required to eat high phosphorus foods.  Chocolate and cheese here I come!  For laypersons out there, when you are on dialysis you have to limit your phosphorus dramatically.

I had to take large doses of steroids which make you feel invincible, but the transplant team quickly lowered my dose to 5 mg a day after two weeks post transplant.  Those of you who have taken steroids know they can take you on an emotional roller coaster ride.

I have been going to clinic twice a week and numbers are stable except for they have to adjust the medications accordingly.  I rented a guesthouse for the first couple of months to make sure I do not get an infection.  I have a zoo and a lot of traffic at my home and I wanted to do everything I can to prevent getting an infection.  That is the biggest threat right now. 

Cyndi had her 2-week check up and was given a clean bill of health.  She gave me an energizer bunny kidney, so I decided to name my kidney LouLu.  Her middle name is Louise and I spend quite a bit of time in the Lu.  I don't ever think I will sleep the night through again.

I am working on getting my strength back and spending too much time watching daytime TV.   I am hooked on American Pickers, What Not To Wear and Modern Family.  These shows are light and don’t require any thinking.  I am convinced that if you watch too much daytime TV it will make you nuts so I have switched my efforts to making button jewelry, walking, some writing and reading and talking on the phone.  My best friend Catherine works 2 blocks away and makes dinner for her family every weeknight and brings me a gourmet dinner.  I have never eaten so well in my life!  She is a great cook.  I have received so much incredible support of friends and family I am very grateful. 

There are so many advancements in transplantation.  Twenty years ago I had 98% antibodies and all I could hope for was a perfect match kidney.  It took 7 years and one came up.  I was very lucky.  But lightning does not always strike twice. 

When I visited Cedar Sinai transplant team they were very confident they could transplant me because I multiple potential living donors.  They were not concerned about blood type or antigens, just the cross-match.  Which was hard at first to wrap my brain around.  It took 9 months to go through the process, as I had to receive 7 units of blood last July due to a GI bleed, which made my antibodies crazy. 

Also, paired exchange is an option for people who may not have a compatible donor and the donor is willing to donate to someone else.  So much hope, what advancements are in our future?  The use of stem cell research to grow kidneys or a mechanical kidney?!

I am only 3 weeks out, but I am on my way to recovery.  I amazed every time I see my labs and I am in the normal range.  I can't remember that ever happening to me.  LouLu is a master chemist and my sister’s kidney is helping me pee all I can pee! 

The Day After Surgery.


5 comments:

  1. Great update Lori! Best wishes that you recover quickly and can get home to your menagerie of furry and feathered kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of the "liquid gold!" You sound wonderful... I know all your family and furry darlings at home miss you as much as you miss them... and am sure recovery will continue to go well, so you can get back there !

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome news, Lori! Glad to hear that all is going so well. Your creatinine is lower than mine with 2 kidneys! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrates glad it working.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is excellent news! I have read your book and have followed you here and there throughout the years. Congratulations on a successful living donor transplant! Would love it if you would contribute to my blog In the beginning-transplant sometime!

    ReplyDelete